The Hearse Ride...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life Lessons

For the last 2 weeks I've been preoccupied with my friend Nicole, who I haven't seen in 4 years. She and I used to share a house together here in Florida, about 8 years ago. (This of course happened years before Granny had her stroke, and my life came to a stop).

Nikki has had a hard life, coming from an alcoholic, abusive father(recently deceased), and a drug addicted, alcoholic mother(deceased). She and her younger brother are both alcohol and drug addicted, though Nikki seemed to have better control over her addictions. Her work ethic is magnificent. (something I wish I had) You work, you pay the bills, then if there is anything left over, you Party.

She also has had a bad track record with LOSER men, one which left her with a now 7 year old son.

Well what seemed like having control, was lost a year and a half ago after a 3 day booze & crack binge. She had a Dentist appt. which she had already changed 2 times and was afraid she would be booted as a patient. This was in the winter in southern Ohio, and it had been sleeting most of the week including that day

Nikki made the fateful mistake to drive to her appointment anyway.

She blacked out ....

She woke up in the hospital, the right side of her face shattered in many places, she would eventually have a metal plate replace most of the bones in the upper right side of her face.

She also learned that she had hit another car... the occupant, a 22 year old mother of three was killed.

Nikki's world stopped then.



Nikki came down to Florida to sign her son away,(to a friend of hers) because she expects to go to prison anywhere from 2-7 years for vehicular manslaughter.

She didn't ask me to take care of her son, but I got a very strong feeling that she wished I'd volunteered. But Granny is too much for me now, and a 7 year old troubled boy, ...would slip me into Bedlam.

I am however praying for Nikki & her family, something I find myself doing more often than not.
posted by David G. at 10:22 PM

5 Comments:

Well, there you are then. imho, yours was a good choice for everyone involved.

bravo, David.

(you don't mind if I get just a little choked up over this?...

prayers along with you.)

8/27/2008 12:31 AM  

Not at all, it's not as if I've been dry eyed about all this. This story is very condensed, lots of history between us.

And I do love her like a sister, ...but tough love seems to work best in these situations.

8/27/2008 12:54 AM  

exactly.

ouch. ouch!

healing.

bedtime now, for both of us.

good night, David. Thanks for bringing a little life into my night.

:)

8/27/2008 1:35 AM  

You may have gone to bed then, but ...I stay up for hours!!

8/27/2008 5:20 AM  

Still up!!

and NO I don't do amphetamines.

I do however have an addiction to learning, which takes over after dark.

8/27/2008 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home