The Hearse Ride...

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday Morning Wind












So it's an early Saturday morning here, actually a continuation of Friday night for me anyway and what am I listening to?!?
Not the usual club mixes, ...but pipe organ music, some choral, some just instrumental. Some even of myself playing, from the 1980's and 90's, back when I did such things.

I don't pretend I'm an organist any more, ...I tell it like it is, that I have no formal education in music, it just comes natural to me. Although I have had some musical instruction in my life(piano lessons for 7 years), I found playing by ear much more satisfying and stopped formal instruction when I was 14. For 8 years I had no piano to play on, other than in high school, and I seldom played there either. I did however play the organ at the small Episcopal church I attended in Gladstone Michigan, though not for services. Just because it was the only keyboard instrument I had access to.(my mom was a deacon, and had a key to the church)

After she died in 1986, I'd played (organ) here and there in the cities I lived in, usually late at night when no one was around. I used to sneak into a closed, but powered theater in Grand Rapids Michigan, and play the Barton Theater Organ that was long neglected there. It was surprisingly in tune, and all the stops worked. I'd record my sessions on a Panasonic boom box, which I still have. The recordings however have disappeared over the years.
posted by David G. at 3:04 AM

1 Comments:

I can hear you even now! Nice.

9/13/2009 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home