The Hearse Ride...

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Hot & Humid Lazy Days






It's been blisteringly hot here in central Florida as of late. I've taken to staying holed up in the house till after 7 pm, but lately it doesn't truly cool down till well past 10:30 pm. Of course it is only going to get worse before it gets better, since this is August.

Now when I lived in Michigan, August was the best month because it was usually the hottest, but down here in Florida, September tends to be ever hotter than August.....unless a Tropical storm or Hurricane rolls through, then the weather is rather pleasant. (that is if you have power after the storms roll through)

Sometimes I enjoy the heat, if it's not too humid out...which isn't often during the rainy season (summer months), in fact I rather like drought conditions down here, hot and dry. I don't however like the prevalence of forest fires when there is a drought, the smoke and ash defeats the purpose of relaxing outdoors.

In the top photo you can see that there isn't much left of some of the forest around here due to fires, ...but those palms always seem to do okay regardless.
posted by David G. at 1:17 AM

3 Comments:

Good Lord, I kept expecting to see Tennesee Williams lurch out from somewhere in that swamp...makes me hot to look at it (not in a good way).

Cheers, it's 70's here!

Leonardo

8/06/2008 8:55 PM  

The longer I live, the less well I tolerate the humidity. Ugh! I spent nine summers in Santa Fe, and that was fine, because usually it was "dry heat".

That's fascinating about the palms. Is it because they have a higher water content than other trees??

Some are predicting that we'll be growing palm trees up here in Connecticut before the century is over (I use the word "we" advisedly, as I don't plan to be around that long...)

I don't think I'd do well in Florida (first time I was there I was 10 and barely conscious - loved the reptile farms on the way to; the second time I was there it was to search for a bishop - believe it or not, we asked Jecko to be part of our election here in 1992 ROFL - and then I noticed how amazingly *flat* Florida is. Uh uh, I'm a mountain or at least hill boy, myself.)

Hey David, I like the way you wrote this. Thanks.

8/07/2008 8:32 PM  

Well, sometimes I make sense...lol.

8/08/2008 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home